Thursday, March 19, 2009

DO THIS!

Remember those two entire class days we spent with the laptops reviewing world lit papers? Remember I told you about three steps?
1. Remove passive voice verbs.
2. Be sure all verbs are in the simple present unless logic demands otherwise.
3. Read backwards sentence-by-sentence to be sure each sentence has its own sense.

I also told you to remove these tired (and passive) circumlocutions:
can be viewed
is seen
is portrayed

Finally, go get a drink of water and come back. Read your paper from beginning to end.

I just read a paper with EVERY ONE of the above problems unaddressed. What were those class days for? DO WHAT YOU ARE TAUGHT! AND KEEP DOING IT!

I can just imagine Psycho T driving for the hoop only to pull up and say, "This basket can be seen as a dunk by Dick Vitale." Well, is it a jam, or ain't it? JUST GET THE POINTS!

1 comment:

Kayla :] said...

This was a pretty intense post, Mr.Koon.
I'm sort of quaking with fear.
Real talk.